Constant Apple TV Problems

Reaction score
I have been having constant problems with my ATV since the start and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Basicly, when I start it up the internet based programs (Netflix, youtube, etc.) sometimes do not show up at all. When they do show up, the pictures/icons take several minutes to load. It then locks up completely for several minutes. If I am able to make it through this, Netflix rarely works. It either is buffering so long I cant wait, and turn it off or it says that there is 17 hours to load, etc. It also locks up several times during a movie. Same thing happens with you tube and I have yet to be able to successfully watch a PPV movie. I have reset it, restored it, turned it off an off about 100 times, and made sure none of my other devices are trying to use the internet. I should also add that I have 25mpbs internet through TDS Telecom. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
ATV2 or ATV1?

Also, what kind of Router do you have? A,B,G,N,DB-N? I have found that, while my Router is N, and all my personal equipment (MBP, iPad, ATV2, DVD Player) are all N, my roommate's computer is G, which throttles my router and I am finding I have to reboot my ATV2 once or twice a day depending on when they have been on. Now, theoretically I could go get a DB-N (like the Airport Extreme) and not have that issue, however I don't feel like upgrading a 5 month old router at this time.

OP
B
Reaction score
ATV2 or ATV1?

Also, what kind of Router do you have? A,B,G,N,DB-N? I have found that, while my Router is N, and all my personal equipment (MBP, iPad, ATV2, DVD Player) are all N, my roommate's computer is G, which throttles my router and I am finding I have to reboot my ATV2 once or twice a day depending on when they have been on. Now, theoretically I could go get a DB-N (like the Airport Extreme) and not have that issue, however I don't feel like upgrading a 5 month old router at this time.

ATV 2. Honestly, I don't know what kind of router I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router and the ATV2 is up to date.

As to the different speeds, when everything was N (in other words, no roommate) it worked like a charm and I never had issues. Now, I just have to sit and reboot the ATV2 which is no biggie, personally, because I know it isn't the ATV2 having the issue, it is my router and roommate causing it. Once I spend the money to upgrade, there should not be any issues after that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router and the ATV2 is up to date.

As to the different speeds, when everything was N (in other words, no roommate) it worked like a charm and I never had issues. Now, I just have to sit and reboot the ATV2 which is no biggie, personally, because I know it isn't the ATV2 having the issue, it is my router and roommate causing it. Once I spend the money to upgrade, there should not be any issues after that.

I know the ATV has the latest updates. Not sure on firmware, not sure what that is really. I am not too tech savy with this stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I know the ATV has the latest updates. Not sure on firmware, not sure what that is really. I am not too tech savy with this stuff.

If your ATV is up to date, then the problem in all likelihood is your router. It'd help to know what model it is to be certain. That information should be "somewhere" on it.

OP
B
Reaction score
If your ATV is up to date, then the problem in all likelihood is your router. It'd help to know what model it is to be certain. That information should be "somewhere" on it.

The router is an Actiontech MI424WR. I called my internet provider and they are going to send me a new one. I think they are sending a 724 (think that is what they said). Think that is the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The router is an Actiontech MI424WR. I called my internet provider and they are going to send me a new one. I think they are sending a 724 (think that is what they said). Think that is the problem?

Yes, the 424 appears to only run at the older 802.11g speeds. But so does the 724. There's a 784 model that will support the speeds that you need (802.11n).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.