Buying New MacBook Pro, Question!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am about to upgrade my Macbook (the old white version from about 4 years ago) to a new Macbook Pro.

I do not use this computer at school or at a college for audio or graphic arts programs like many users.

I use it for:

Watching Netflix.
Burning CD/DVDs and other media
Surfing the Interwebs :)
Doing Nerd stuff like visiting this website and Kotaku

So really, the busiest EVER that my Macbook would be, is if I was burning a CD, watching Netlix and surfing the web all at once. And that of course would be the max.

So, my question is, did I make the right decision in the Macbook 13" i5 instead of the i7 for $300 more?

The HD does not matter to me, for I doubt I will EVER fill up 320GB. That is a lot for me! And I even burn my CDs in Apple Lossless.

Please let me know and I can always return it, so feel free to be honest if you think I should have purchased the i7.

Based on what I have researched (like YouTube videos), most people seem to say that for what I will be doing (multi-media while watching my favorite movie on the couch), the i5 version is plenty fast.

Thanks for all of your input, it is VERY helpful!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
For what you listed you are going to use the PC for, i5 is fine. Personally, if watching Netflix is going to be a priority (and it is on the top of the list) then I would have gone for the 15" over the 13".

Filling up 320GB, nope. I cannot see that happening if you stick with that list.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Man!

I really appreciate your help.

That list is not in order, just the way I wrote it, LOL.

I wanted the 13.3" for portablity, I love how small it is.

But yes, I will only be using it for just stuff like that. No complicated or large programs like video editing or that stuff Mac are known for.

I am excited to get a Macbook Pro instead of the plain white macbook. Mine is ugly and dirty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It is surprising how portable my 17" is. It is lighter and thinner than my old 15" HP. 6# and an inch thick is easily portable for me. The thing with the smaller screens, faster eyestrain the longer you use them. That is the biggest reason I would go with the larger size. That and I already have an iPad, so portability isn't that huge an issue.

As to the order - it is amazing how we list things subconsciously in order of importance, even though you think order doesn't matter. Trust me, I do it all the time and see it done all the time as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
That's correct! I actually do use Netflix like crazy! You're probably right on that one.

I do love my Apple products though. I just ordered a new Ipod Classic, I still think they make a GREAT iPod.

Reaction score
Any MB that they sell will be able to handle whatever you throw at it from a basic consumer standpoint. From the things you listed, you won't have any trouble running.

Heck, I'm using an old BlackBook from 08 that I'm thinking about selling and it does everything fine. HD video, photo editing; anything I want it to do, it can handle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can always connect your MB or MBP to a larger monitor or TV for viewing Netflix movies. I used to do that until I got a new TV with the Netflix app built in.

Reaction score
microcenter in BOS has NEW 13" MBPros, for 799.00, refurbed for more than what you need. Smart. Addressing your needs not wants.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.