[Bootcamp] Can't to boot to Windows after creating new partition

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

A few weeks ago, I needed to do some programming in a windows environment so I figured it would be best to get my macbook pro to dual boot. It wasn't that much of a hassle and it worked perfectly. But then I thought, "why not also install Linux?". So I created a partition (two actually, one for swap space) using the disk utility but after doing that bootcamp wouldn't display windows in the boot menu anymore. However, the partition is still mounted and I can still access the files using finder.

I've searched the web for this problem and soon ended up here (and searched the forum ofc). I've also read the Sticky which explicitly states not to mess with partitions after using bootcamp, but that was a bit like mustard after dinner (dutch expression hehe xD). I've read that is has something to do with the partition table. Is there a way (terminal?) to restore the partition and get bootcamp to recognize windows again (preferable without reinstalling windows)?

Help would be appreciated!
Grtz Bastiaan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, once you start messing around with partitions after Windows is installed, it's very difficult to recover without reinstalling.

There are several different ways to setup Linux and Windows creating a triple boot. Here's one way: LINK

Also, it's almost never necessary to create a Linux swap partition as long as you have enough memory.

And, it's best to use VM software rather than messing with partitions and Boot Camp. Parallels, Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox all make it easy to triple boot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the link! Just a matter of following the steps and then it just works! Great, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.