MBP wont install Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Reaction score
I bought my MacBook Pro i7 on February 2011, cant recall the pre-installed version.
However i have the original disc of Snow Leopard (10.6 & 10.6.3).

For some reason when i try to boot through the disc by holding "C" or (Option Key, and clicking on the disc). I can hear the disc reading for 10-20 secs then it stops (while the screen is in apple logo without loading icon". Of course i've tried it several times.

So i decided to use another method.

I have connected my MBP to my iMac using a FireWire.
MBP: powered on while holding " T " (FireWire Mode)
iMac: Formatted MBP drive, inserted Snow Leopard disc, and started the install (as it installs to MBP drive).

Now the issue is it went through the installation for like 15-20%, then my iMac rebooted automatically and its stuck in White Screen (Apple logo without loader icon). it has been almost 1 hour..

Are there any suggestions?

Sending it to Apple Store is my last option, as i would really like to learn more about Mac OS X.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it came with say OS X.6.4 or later you cannot go backwards. Still got the discs that came with the machine?

OP
H
Reaction score
Not really, as in im studying overseas and i left my box back home.
I didnt have a clear look in the box for the discs when i bought it, as i thought the recovery disc is actually the BOOTCAMP partition.

This is my first Mac, so im kinda new at it.

C

chas_m

Boxed copies of Snow Leopard in stores at this point should be 10.6.6 now (check the box carefully to verify this before buying). I'm afraid the only solution I can think of is to buy a new copy of (retail) Snow Leopard (or wait a month maybe less for Lion to come out). Luckily, it's only $30 either way.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sadly I just bought 10.6.3, though I can have it returned (which I'll do tomorrow).
Do you think if I send my laptop to apple service, will they install 10.6.6 for free? As in I'm still under warranty.

Does formatting breaks the warranty?

OP
H
Reaction score
Sent my MBP to apple store and they will have it sorted, seems like there is a problem with the hardware (warranty covers it).

Another advantage of sending it, as there is squeaky sound from inside (Assuming the Fan or Hard Drive). Not Willing to open it up YET.

Thanks for all your help Harry and Chas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.