New iBook question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
So, how do you (if possible) make the iBook NOT sleep when you close the lid?

D

danielbruzual

Google ibook clamshell hack, and after your install it set the screen brightness to the minimum. You have to be aware that the ibook dissipates heat through the keyboard and runing it while the lid is closed may ruin the lcd.

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
didn't think of that.

E

Exodus

Not exactly...if you read the instructions on how to do it, you can keep the lid open while the display is asleep (meaning you have only one external monitor open).

Instructions from Manual:
When you use Screen Spanning Doctor v0.3.2 or newer to enable screen spanning you will be prompted to choose whether you also want to enable clamshell mode or not. Clamshell mode allows you to use your laptop with the lid closed (which may cause heat issues). To use clamshell mode after you applied the patch you need to sleep the iBook by closing the lid. Then you have to wake it up with an external USB device. The computer will turn on with the display off. You should probably open the iBook a bit after this to allow for proper heat dissipation during operation. The display will stay off until you sleep it again and then wake it with the screen open. The iBooks needs to be connected to AC power during clamshell operation. As I stated before there are some issues with clamshell mode.
Sometimes the internal screen will be off but still logically there (you can move the mouse over) and display related control panels may crash. These issues only occur while you operate so just applying the patch does not inflict these issues during normal operation.

*my part*
After you got the external display only on, you can then open the lid all the way to allow the heat to dissipate.

M

mangoSharingan

Why do all the above? All you need to do is just connect the external monitor, and turn down the brightness all the way on your iBook if you only want to view on the monitor with the lid open. Unless I'm missing something here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mangoSharingan said:
Why do all the above? All you need to do is just connect the external monitor, and turn down the brightness all the way on your iBook if you only want to view on the monitor with the lid open. Unless I'm missing something here...
You're not the only one missing something on this one, cus I must be missing it too :)

Actually, I will never understand why anyone would want to operate ANY laptop with the lid closed. It seems extremely counter-productive, pointless and makes absolutely no sense to me. If a person wanted to run a laptop like a desktop, then they should have just bought a desktop. But hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

:black:

Reaction score
Not to mention that a laptop will always cost more than a desktop of equal stats. See: iBook and Mac Mini

E

Exodus

Really easy to answer, simply because you might only want to work on a bigger screen. However....the Screen Spanning Doctor doesn't actually fix the external monitor's resolution correctly.

Dimming down the laptop screen doesn't actually "turn it off". Look carefully at the screen, you would be able to see the pictures. Since this screen is still actually showing something, the VRAM gets halved (not useful when you're playing games on a bigger screen or doing some video editing on a larger screen).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.