App for MBP Hardware Monitoring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i5, 4GB, 500Gb HD, MBP372B/A, 15.6"
Is there an app or piece of software to monitor the temperature of a mbp working at full speed?

Reaso I ask is that I currently have a sketch transparent hard cover on my mbp as using the laptop at festivals it does get slid about on desks a fair bit and to protect it i bought the transparent case to protect it from scratches a bit.

Tonight as Lightroom 3 is exporting 300 raw editted images to JPG, the fan is running pretty fast to the point where I can hear it. The machine is sitting on a flat wood table and there is airflow underneath.

Where the screen hinges off the back of the mbp, there seems to be a fair bit of heat coming out here but I want to ensure it is not over heating and that I am not doing any damage with heat on this machine.

I would now be lost without my MBP since moving to apple in May this year.

Thanks in advance and pologies for the noob questions.

CHeers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There is a Mac OS X app (not iOS) called SMC Fan Control. It will show you operating temps. You should know that your Mac is already optimized for fan control, so only use this app to monitor, not alter, your fan speeds. Your Mac will shut down if it overheats, which is not likely unless you really work it hard for a very long period of time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum and title edited. Does not belong in the IOS and Apps forum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

I really don't understand the question. You're exporting/converting 300 RAW images. You're using your computer to do one of the vast number of things it was designed to do.

It was also designed, when you start using your computer for real work instead of just browsing the web and sending email, to cause the fans to automatically speed up to keep it within it's operating specifications.

Does your car engine sound louder running down the highway at 60-70mph than it does doing 15mph through a school zone? Of course it does. So what, are you going to quit driving your car anywhere except through school zones? I didn't think so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.