iTunes won't play ripped DVD audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have an audio DVD containing AC3 files that I have extracted (demux'ed) the files as .ac3, .flac and .wav. I want iTunes to play and stream the surround sound files. (I've already played other surround sound songs I've downloaded, so the capability is not the issue here). I've used countless programs to convert the extracted/ripped files into .aiff and .m4a, both of which are recognized by iTunes and maintain the surround sound format.

I've been able to play the .ac3, .flac, .wav, .aiff, and .m4a using Quicktime, VLC, Mpeg Streamclip, Audicity, etc., BUT NOT ITUNES! Like I said, I can play other surround sound songs (.wav, .aiff, & .m4a) in iTunes and streams it to Airport Express fine.

I've used just about every program (VLC, Max, FFMPEGX, Audicity,...) in both Mac OS and Windows to convert the .ac3., .flac and .wav files, so I can't figure out why all other music players play the original and converted files fine. When I load the song in iTunes, the song is stuck at 0:00. I can edit the metadata, and have changed the permissions, all to no effect.

Interestingly enough, I noticed in Windows Media Player that the files have "Missing Media Usage Rights." So I suspect that because the original files were ripped from a DVD, iTunes is refusing to play them. Is this a media rights/DRM issue??? If so how can I check and fix the problem?

The only method that has partly worked is when I used QuickTime to save the song as a .mov file. iTunes played this version but it was a stereo not a 5.1 (surround) file. I'm also not going to pay $30 for QuickTime Pro since I only have this audio DVD and is not something I'm going to do again.

Does anyone have any solutions, ideas, or methods they use to rip and have iTunes play the surround song files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read the following forum announcement. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.