iPad Hardware Diagnostics Possible?

Reaction score
If I had an iPad that is broken, how do I do hardware diagnostics on it? For example, if the iPad won't turn on, how would I know what to replace? On a computer it's a little simpler, but this seems complicated without replacing one component at a time.

Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are not supposed to service it..if it isn't working..you take it to Apple for them to tell you what's broken and how much it's going to cost to fix it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You are not supposed to service it..if it isn't working..you take it to Apple for them to tell you what's broken and how much it's going to cost to fix it..

Correct. This is the recommended approach.

If you are super tech-savvy and have the tools and know-how, here is the ifixit guide to iPad repair. iPad Wi-Fi Repair Manual - iFixit

C

chas_m

As was previously explained, yes -- you take it to a tech and let them tell you what's wrong with it. Then you decide if you want them to fix, you want to fix it, or you want to buy a replacement.

OP
M
Reaction score
As was previously explained, yes -- you take it to a tech and let them tell you what's wrong with it. Then you decide if you want them to fix, you want to fix it, or you want to buy a replacement.

I'm interested in how a tech is going to do the diagnostics, not taking it to them and having them fix it. I don't have a broken iPad, but I know that people are capable of fixing them themselves.

C

chas_m

I'm interested in how a tech is going to do the diagnostics, not taking it to them and having them fix it. I don't have a broken iPad, but I know that people are capable of fixing them themselves.

You're missing the point.

If you want access to the diagnostic tools an Apple tech would use to determine the issue, become an Apple tech. Then you'll have them.

Most consumers don't have the diagnostic tools for their point-n-shoot camera, or the chip reader that diagnoses their car, or that troubleshoots the airplane they are flying in. This is a choice made by the manufacturer based on what is IMO sound reasoning for 99.6% of the people who use those products. The other 0.4% are roughly represented as half professional techs, and half amateurs who think they are professional techs. That second group are always going to find this choice annoying. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.