Sleeping with connected HD

Reaction score
Hi all.

I typically run my macbook in clamshell mode, with an HD connected for Time Machine. Due to lack of sockets, both the macbook and HD are on the same mains extension lead. When I'm finished using it, I always sleep my mac and switch it off at the wall. However, now that the HD is also connected it also gets switched off, and results in my mac waking up again. This even happens when I eject the HD before sleep. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Due to the lack of sockets there's no way of not turning the HD off with the mac (and other things that are connected to the same extension). Also, physically disconnecting the HD each time isn't on, as all the cables are hidden away.

If anyone has any suggestions on this they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Eject the HD before sleep, then unplug it from the Mac, then put your Mac to sleep.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is this the only solution? Like I said, all the cabling is hidden away so disconnecting the HD is a bit of a pain. It would be nice for Time Machine to be a completely 'silent' backup that just did its business without the user noticing.

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't doubt you, but I'm curious as to how the cable from the external drive is inaccessible if you wanted to unplug it from the Mac. I'm just trying to picture a setup where you can't reach the USB or FW cable on the side of your MB.

And yes, that is the only solution I know of. Perhaps another member will know of another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.