• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut pro x and avchd

Reaction score
So it seems that final cut pro x can work with avchd files natively without having to convert them unlike iMovie '11 to Apple's preferred format (Please correct me if I'm wrong) but I also noticed on Apple's website that you can then burn your videos to an ext blu-ray recorder. I'm not sure if the previous version of Final Cut Pro was able to do this but I was wondering if anybody has used an ext blu-ray recorder with success?

I found this blu-ray recorder from Sony and it seems that it's something that might be worth looking into as it can work directly with the camcorder and also be used as an ext blu-ray recorder. Blu-ray Disc DVD Burner | VBD-MA1 | Sony USA

I'm looking at getting a camcorder soon but really have some reservations about the whole process of getting the video onto my iMac and then editing it and then sharing it. It seems that iMovie '11 can import the video but it has to convert it to Apple's editable format (I forgot what the format was called) and I'm worried that this will downconvert the image quality from HD to something less than HD. After all, I want to buy a HD camcorder to record and view the footage in HD.

It seems that once you allow iMovie '11 to convert it Apple's editbale format, editing the footage doesn't seem like a problem but when you're done, it seems that you can't share by burning a blu-ray disc with iMovie '11. I guess you'd use iDVD to make a disc but this is where I'm confused on the quality of the footage. When you render a disk through iDVD, is it maxed out at regular dvd quality 480p or is it able to somehow, maintain the HD quality? I believe if you share the footage through other means such as ipad, you may be able to maintain the HD quality but I want to be able to put it on a "disk", whether it's a dvd or blu-ray, I prefer to have a physical disk to share with my parents.

Any help is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm not sure about iMovie since I never use it, but FCP has included Blu-Ray support as of version 7. But I've never tried it with an external Blu-Ray player myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Like it was mentioned before...AVCHD is a container...I read ( on another forum ) a member who uses AVCHD format but FCP X would not read his .MTS files...don't know any other particulars...iMovie 09/11 does read my AVCHD .MTS files...plus you can import projects and events into FCP X from iMovie....FWIW

Reaction score
Final Cut X does not support .mts files from Sony AVCHD cams. I was simply amazed that Apple has not included this! This is something ALL other NLE's have been able to do for years!? They are shooting themselves in the foot by only supporting there own quicktime format!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.