Mac OS X update question

Reaction score
Hey all, just got an iPhone 4 - yeah! Have an older iMac and iPod. Just went to transfer some tunes off my iMac to my iPhone and need an iTunes update (9.0.2 to 10.3.1) to do so. But I also need a Mac OS X update from 10.4.11 to 10.5 to update iTunes I guess. Can I update for free or must I buy a new Mac OS X? If so, what do you recommend keeping cost in mind? Kind if behind the times as I'm a busy mom of 2 little ones. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
To go from Tiger to Leopard (10.4 -> 10.5) you will have to purchase a retail copy of Leopard. Apple does not sell them anymore, but you might find one someone is selling on eBay or Craigslist. Watch out for grey discs - they are machine specific and will not work on any other Mac than the one they shipped with. Only buy a black retail copy. It is not cheap and will likely be well over $100 USD.
Depending on the age of your Mac, it might be more economical to sell your old one and look at a newer model. Apple's refurbished Macs are good as new and you'll save a couple hundred dollars vs. a brand new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.