Alt button stuck

Reaction score
I bought a new iMac about four days ago. Brought it home, set it up and it's working lovely. However very recently I find that whenever I begin typing in a browser or text edit that it comes up with symbols instead of the usual letters, as it would if I was holding down the alt key.

This only started happening today and when I bring up the view keyboard it seems to recognise the alt key being down. I'm using the wireless keyboard that came with it. I tried switching the keyboard off and on, it works fine for about twenty seconds but then resumes as if I'm holding down the alt key. Switching off the alt key doesn't seem to work either and I've made sure sticky keys isn't on. I've also checked the battery power of the keyboard and it seems to be at full.

I'm quite at a stump here. I've looked on other forums and people with the same problem don't really have a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are there any other blue tooth devices turned on in close proximity to the iMac? And, have you tried System Preferences, Keyboard, and reset keyboard shortcuts to the default? And while you're there, go through the blue tooth setup for the keyboard.

If all else fails, get in touch with Apple and have them exchange the wireless keyboard for a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.