Issue Adding an Account to OS 10.6.7

Reaction score
I am attempting to add an account to my new macbook. the first time i tried, it froze up and i had to reboot.

the second time I tried to add, it says the account name is used by another user. though the user is not listed in the account list.

how do I fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the account name you tried to add when the machine froze is keeping you from adding it again. It may have somehow got into the system even though the machine froze.

You state that this MacBook is new? Is it new from Apple or is it just new to you as in buying it used? A brand new MacBook should not freeze up when adding an account.

If the account name you're trying to add is not showing up under accounts from System Preferences, you can try searching for it using Spotlight. But I hesitate to suggest deleting anything for fear of deleting the wrong account and locking yourself out of the machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
yes, this is a brand new from apple Macbook Pro. I've had this freezing issue a couple of times when trying to add accounts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I saw that you tried to delete the offending account using the Terminal. I do not recommend using Terminal as it could lead to locking yourself out of the machine.

However, since your machine is new, it's certainly covered by the Apple warranty. A new machine should not be freezing. I would make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them trouble shoot it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.