Firewire Question

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the board. Have a question regarding the use of a firewire cable to link a Mac Book Pro with a iMac.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the process.

1. Make sure the MBP is off and connect the FW cable to it.
2. Boot up and press the T key unitl the FW logo is on the screen.
3. Make sure the iMac is on and logged in...then connect the FW cable to it.

The hard drive from the MBP should be accessible on the iMac now...right?

The reason I'm doing this is because my hard drive is corrupted on the MBP and I need to back up the users before I reinstall the software.

When I look at the System Preferences on the iMac under Network it says the "Built-in firewire cable" is not detected.

Hope I'm just missing a step or have overlooked something simple.

Any help would be great!

-Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the cable you're using is the correct one. In other words, if the FW ports are different. (FW 800 vs FW 400)

If that checks out, follow the directions given in the Apple KB to boot the MBP in Target disk mode and extract the data to the iMac hard drive.

See this LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FW 800 is backwards compatible with FW400. The only thing it'll do is slow to the slowest speed (in fact, if you daisy chain them you can have FW800 devices responding at full speed with a 400 at the tail end of the chain).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.