Software Update from Tiger (10.4.3) to (10.4.11)

Reaction score
I have reinstalled 10.4.3 which was OK. software update Mac OS Update combined (Power PC) seems to keep stalling on instalation. The download was OK but on installing the time indicator is just hanging at near completion.
Am I doing something wrong ?
i did upgrade to a larger hard drive and was wondering if there is some compatability problem. any help gratefully received. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have reinstalled 10.4.3 which was OK. software update Mac OS Update combined (Power PC) seems to keep stalling on instalation. The download was OK but on installing the time indicator is just hanging at near completion.
Am I doing something wrong ?
i did upgrade to a larger hard drive and was wondering if there is some compatability problem. any help gratefully received. thank you.

Are you trying to update with the built-in Update software, or did you download the 10.4.11 Update Combo? If the latter, try starting with the 10.4.4 Update Combo. If that is successful, then re-try the 10.4.11.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi again,
I downloaded OK and Installed. It went through; Introduction, Read me, Licence, Select destination, Installation Type and is saying 100% complete on the Install stage but the thermometer seems to be just stuck at Optimising volume "Macintosh HD": 100% complete ! it doesnt seem to want to go to the final finish up stage. Am I missing something really obvious here....? any help gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again,
I downloaded OK and Installed. It went through; Introduction, Read me, Licence, Select destination, Installation Type and is saying 100% complete on the Install stage but the thermometer seems to be just stuck at Optimising volume "Macintosh HD": 100% complete ! it doesnt seem to want to go to the final finish up stage. Am I missing something really obvious here....? any help gratefully received.

Try the 10.4.4 Combo Update and see if that will install. If it does, then do the 10.4.11.
Mac OS X Update 10.4.4 Combo

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
i forced quit on the install that seemed to have failed, On restarting it now appears to have worked and is now running ver 10.4.11, which is great. I ran a disc utility to repair disk permissions and all seems to be working now.
I will try to install fcp now, fingers crossed.
Thanks again

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would down load a fresh copy of 10.4.11 and re-install. This is to be sure nothing is missed in the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with rman. "Something" may not have quite finished up if the installer was hanging. You don't want to find out the hard way.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. I downloaded again and re-installed and this time it sailed through without a hitch. Great, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.