Installing Mac OSX in a second partition

Reaction score
Hi.
I have Mac osx 10.6.7 in my MacBook Air. If I create a partition, can I install Mac OS in that partition and boot from that instead of the existing one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi.
I have Mac osx 10.6.7 in my MacBook Air. If I create a partition, can I install Mac OS in that partition and boot from that instead of the existing one?

Yes. If your drive is fragmented, you may need to compact it first to get enough contiguous space. If you have a spare drive, a quick dirty way is to use SuperDuper to clone your drive to that, then clone it back. Otherwise, use iDefrag to do a proper defrag, though you should always have a backup just in case.

OP
B
Reaction score
good. I installed the MacLeopard system in a new partition, but I am blocked in "creating an account" procedure. the "continue" button is not enabled with my choice of pwd and username and I cant go on. is it any particular rule for passwords?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're attempting to install a version of OS X older than the machine shipped with, it's unlikely that you will get a complete installation, much less get it to work. It would not have the drivers required for your new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.