Mac pro seems a bit slow

Reaction score
Hi, Ive recently switched to Mac after coming into possession of a Mac Pro.I don't know how old it is but the model number is A1186.

I'm finding that the internet is noticably slower to browse than on my windows machine.The windows machine has lower specs to the mac pro in every way except it has a 512mb radeon hd3650 but the mac pro has a 256mb NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

Mac specs are as follows:

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system): CK7271TJY3P
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20B7200

Im wondering if the video card is why my web browsing is slow and if so, can anyone recommend a low priced upgrade.Id probably get it from ebay.

Also, is there some kind of a list of mac-compatible video cards somewhere?

Thanks
Mark

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is it slower web surfing in general or mainly on Flash intensive sites?

BTW which OS is it running? From the Apple menu choose About This Mac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
From the Mac, hit up Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and see how fast your connection is, if you have a Windows machine as well, do the same test and if they show varying speeds, perhaps the issue is more in the NIC than anything else..

OP
Markisthejob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.I'm running snow leopard 10.6.7 (I did a fresh install of snow leopard and updated via built in software update). It's just general browsing, pictures dont seem to be loading up as fast. I'll try the speedtest when I get home and see if there's a difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Do you have a Router in between your Modem and the MacPro? If so, that could be the problem. If so, hook your Modem directly to the Mac Pro, and see if you notice a difference. Either way, I would go into Disk Utility, verify the Drive, and Verify and Repair the Permissions. Not sure of that will speed up your browsing, however, it can only help. I would also think about downloading OnyX from Apple's site and running the Automation Mode on it. Finally, you can think about installing Applejack, and running it. Just some suggestions that shouldn't hurt, but may help. Make sure everything is backed up before running OnyX and/or Applejack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.