• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Launching Today?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I was hoping for at least a USB 3.0 if not a Thunderbolt port on the AE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
WOW, $500 for a 3tb drive/router??? CRAZINESS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
WOW, $500 for a 3tb drive/router??? CRAZINESS!

Totally agree, that's just insane. Given that the 2 TB one is $300.. where are they figuring that another TB = $200? You can get a 3TB external HD (WD) for $150 The router its self is $179 (an Airport Extreme). Who the he-double L does their math ?!

Doug

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was hoping for at least a USB 3.0 if not a Thunderbolt port on the AE.

I don't think wireless could take advantage of the speed bump in its current form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Where did you guys read those prices? I didn't see them in the linked article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Same here. Guess I will hang on to my money a bit longer. :)

But WiFi speeds can't even support the speeds of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt so what would you expect to get out of it? I mean unless you wire your network, but then why have a WiFi router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
But WiFi speeds can't even support the speeds of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt so what would you expect to get out of it? I mean unless you wire your network, but then why have a WiFi router?

As an example, we have a couple of MBP's. My Airport Extreme sits under my desk, hard wired to my MBP as well as an external HD that I use for all my media. My wife also uses her MBP, but obviously via wireless.

TB would come in handy for sure for me, since I do all that photo editing, lots of uploading etc...

Doug

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Obviously logic has little or nothing to do with the decision. Would have been cool Like most Apple fans we want what we want and want it day before yesterday.:)

Although I had not thought about the speed drop you mentioned I wouldn't buy a new one right now even with those ports. My current one is chugging along nicely after a couple of years use.

@Doug b I hadn't thought of that option. I could easily do that. My current setup is essentially the same as yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
What I'm mostly worried about is an increase in the range of the AE. I just bought a new AE last Tuesday and I'm very disappointed. I'm not getting as good a range as I got with my 6+ year old Linksys G router and that's very disappointing. I loved the ease of use and setup, but I was really hoping to see some more range and I haven't seen that addressed in any of the reviews. Perhaps it's going to take some hands on reviews of the product, but it kind of worries me that the claims on Apple's website haven't changed since the last AE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What I'm mostly worried about is an increase in the range of the AE. I just bought a new AE last Tuesday and I'm very disappointed. I'm not getting as good a range as I got with my 6+ year old Linksys G router and that's very disappointing. I loved the ease of use and setup, but I was really hoping to see some more range and I haven't seen that addressed in any of the reviews. Perhaps it's going to take some hands on reviews of the product, but it kind of worries me that the claims on Apple's website haven't changed since the last AE.

The AE actually has great range, but there is a range difference between G and N in general regardless of which router due to the radio band differences. N is much more susceptible to interference and generally has a shorter range when used in the 5ghz space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.