I am having problems starting up my new imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
I am having problems starting up my new imac, 3 times in the last week it has not started up straight away when I have clicked the on button. I have had to switch it off by the mains and then switch it back on to boot up, last time I had a loud bleeping noise before I switched it off by the mains? anybody help me with this please??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Can we just go back one step?

When your Mac was working properly, how do you switch it off?

And it might help to have a few basic details - desktop, laptop etc and the specs.

Lastly, if very new, you will be covered by Apple Care for 12 months. Maybe you took out the 3 year option?

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
Can we just go back one step?

When your Mac was working properly, how do you switch it off?

And it might help to have a few basic details - desktop, laptop etc and the specs.

Lastly, if very new, you will be covered by Apple Care for 12 months. Maybe you took out the 3 year option?

Ian

Hiya, I turn my new imac 27 ins off by clicking on the apple icon and then click shut down. Imac specks some anyway......odel Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
I have upgraded to the 3 year protection plan.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Have you added any RAM modules?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I mean - have you added any recently. May want to try removing the additional RAM modules as a first check - just use the RAM modules that shipped. Often beeping at start up is a RAM problem. You can try reseating the modules - but first I'd just see if you can isolate by pulling out one module and see if it boots.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean - have you added any recently. May want to try removing the additional RAM modules as a first check - just use the RAM modules that shipped. Often beeping at start up is a RAM problem. You can try reseating the modules - but first I'd just see if you can isolate by pulling out one module and see if it boots.

Yes I have added more memory, I will try what you have advised if it doesn't start up again, I appreciate the help.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have added more memory, I will try what you have advised if it doesn't start up again, I appreciate the help.

I just realized I didn't type what I meant :Blushing: - what I meant to say was pull out all of the memory modules you added leaving only what the iMac shipped with. If it boots - then you can start replacing one at a time until you find the bad module.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Also, I do not know if this is related to your problem, but if it is not the memory, how many peripherals do you have connected the USB and Firewire ports when starting up?

The reason I say that is because I have a non-supported, Canon Multi-Function Printer hooked up to my new iMac via a USB Hub to a USB Port. That makes startup time real long. The iMac must read all the info and load it every time it starts up. Just a guess.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I un-plugged my external USB Port (which I bought because there isn't a lot of USB port's on my Imac) and it started no problem, I noticed that when I tried to plug another USB connection in the mouse would stop working until l I took out the USB connection so that could have been the problem??? what do you think?

Anybody have a good external USB device they would recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I un-plugged my external USB Port (which I bought because there isn't a lot of USB port's on my Imac) and it started no problem, I noticed that when I tried to plug another USB connection in the mouse would stop working until l I took out the USB connection so that could have been the problem??? what do you think?

Anybody have a good external USB device they would recommend?
I use a Cables Unlimited 7 Port USB Hub which will work fine with your Mac. You can find it at:

Cables Unlimited USB-1870 USB HUB - 7-Port, USB 2.0, 2.5ft Cable at TigerDirect.com

I'm sure you can also find it other places on the web.

And yes, that seems to be the problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still starting up OK must have been the USB hub, thanks again :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.