Macbook Charger Issue, Help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It would be great if anyone could help me out here!
So the last couple of days on my charger the white encasing started to peel away at a point, this widened and the wire inside was exposed. I placed duck tape over this, i then plugged it into the macbook. Firstly, i noticed now that the charger was not working at all, there was what appeared to be an orange light and a smell like a blown fuse. I looked at the charger, and the wires inside were all shredded up, i guess this reders the charger useless. I have ordered a replacement with Apple online. However, i worry that the megsafe might be broken because of this? im going to try another charger of a friends tomorrow to see. There is a slight "blown fuse" smell from the megsafe area, could it have been affected? I hope not as i just had the megsafe dc board replaced for 150. Any help really appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the MagSafe charger unit itself may have developed a short and burned through the wiring. If you ordered a replacement from Apple it will include the entire unit not just the cable.

OP
F
Reaction score
It sounds like the MagSafe charger unit itself may have developed a short and burned through the wiring. If you ordered a replacement from Apple it will include the entire unit not just the cable.

Thank's for the reply. Today, my friend has a Macbook Air with the 45w charger. I plugged it into my magsafe and there was no response. Should it still be working with my macbook, or is it my worse fear that the magsafe is fried? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I do not think you can use 45w charger to charge macbook, should be 60w or 85w.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct. The MagSafe charger from a MacBook Air is not going to work and in fact may damage the 45W charger. As the other reply stated you need a minimum of 60W. The MBP 85W charger can also be used.

OP
F
Reaction score
I sent the Macbook away to be looked at. The repair company replaced the DC board already last month. They said that there is no problem with the magsafe, and that the logic board may be the problem. In such a case, its probably going to cost me a good 600/700 to repair apparently. Do people think this is an accurate diagnosis? If so, should i even bothar with the repair? I mean i could buy another laptop for far cheaper an amount, even though i do love my macbook! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I sent the Macbook away to be looked at. The repair company replaced the DC board already last month. They said that there is no problem with the magsafe, and that the logic board may be the problem. In such a case, its probably going to cost me a good 600/700 to repair apparently. Do people think this is an accurate diagnosis? If so, should i even bothar with the repair? I mean i could buy another laptop for far cheaper an amount, even though i do love my macbook! :)

To make life easier for yourself, why not get a new magsafe ? it is going to cost you less than the 600/700 price you quoted. Try this magsafe on the macbook, see how well it work, if does not work then you have spare magsafe, you can always use for future macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You might want to speak to the service manager. Repairs carry a 90-day warranty (at least at the Apple Stores, not certain about 3rd party repairs). It's possible they could link the repair to the previous one, call it a rework, and cover the repair under the 90-day service coverage. Since the previous issue was a failed DC-board (i.e., electrical issues), it's certainly possible the logic board could have been damaged by the same electrical issue.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks once again for the great info! The Mac Technician said the magsafe isnt the problem he tried another magsafe in the laptop and the problem was still not fixed. Which lead him to believe the logic board is the issue. On their website they have a " no fix - no fee" policy, I paid 150 for the magsafe to repaired only for a similar issue to reoccur once again 3 weeks later. They also say they have a "genuine spare with manufacturer warranty 3 months to a year on all systems repaired" I have a feeling there is a link as the poster above said between the magsafe failing and the logic board. Am i reasonable to assume this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Based on the information above, I'd say yes. If they give you any difficulty about calling this a repeat repair, contact Apple customer relations, explain the situation to them, provide them with the repair number so they can review it, and they can work with the shop on your behalf.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.