Which Power Mac G4?

J

JSand

Sorry for a which mac should I get thread. I read the Sticky on this, and it didn't help much. I have been looking at a Mac for a while, and after talking to a friend who's a Mac user, I have decided to look at a Power Mac G4. I can't really afford any of the most rescent Macs except for maybe a mac mini, and I don't want that. My budget is around a thousand dollars maybe more, but I want to stay as far under that as possible, without sacrificing major performance. I've been looking at Power Mac G4s on ebay. I was looking at ones that are dual 800mhz and dual 1ghz. Mainly I will use this for web browsing, e-mail, web design, graphics, maybe some video editing. I'm going off to college in 3 years, so I would want this to last until then hopefully. What model would you recommend that can run tiger and other recent software without any problems? BTW I'll get at least 1 gig of ram to put in it, and an ati 9700 pro that I have sitting around.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The 800mhz will be fine for email web browsing ect. Depending on how "heavy" of video editing you plan on doing then I would get the 1Ghz.

OP
U

UncSki1218

yeah..i would get a refurb or used(ebay) imac g5 and upgrade it yourself. its incredibly easy to add ram as i did to my new one. i use mine for the same things and its perfect.

OP
J

JSand

I have looked at imac g5s. I want a tower though for the expandability, so I don't think I'll get an imac. I want the pci slots that a power mac has.

Would a dual 1 ghz g4 with 1 or 1.5 gigs of ram suit my needs for some basic video editing and graphics work?

As for the refurbed g5 with a single 1.8 ghz processor. That could be an option maybe. How would that compare to a dual 1ghz g4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
really depends on the video editing you are going to be doing how powerful of a proccessor you are going to need.

iMovie - You can get the mini and it will be fine
Final Cut Express - the 800mhz powermac g4 should be fine
Final Cut Pro 3/4 - Dual 1.0 /1.2 ghz power mac G4 or a iMac G5
Final Cut Pro 4.5/5 - low end Dual Proccessor G5 for basic.. higher end if you are going to be using motion and dvd studio pro and soundtrack along with final cut.

OP
J

JSand

Well I made my decision and bought a dual 1.25 ghz 1.5 gigs of ram power mac g4 mdd. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congrats on your purchase your going to love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.