Memory Issues running SL

Reaction score
Greetings

It all began a few months ago when my wife bought me an Apple wireless mouse........

As I had been running Tiger, I had to upgrade to Snow Leopard for it to function. More expense. And iLife......

Now I have (in Apple terms) an ancient machine. It's a 2006 iMac. The maximum RAM that can be installed is 2 Gig - which I have.

Memory usage seems high. The spec for SL calls for 1 Gig, but frequently Activity Monitor shows much higher than this and if I use Parallels, it shoots up to 1.99 Gig!!!

My question is - is this normal? Is anyone using a similar machine and having the same or different experience?

Is it all part of a plot By S Jobs esquire to force me into buying a new model?

I must say that I like SL, Time Machine etc, but I will go back to Tiger if I must.....

Cheers Mitcherooney

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
2GB works fine here on my Mini with SL but I do not use Parallels with Windows on it as that does take up a lot of RAM. Otherwise I find SL with 2GB fine for most general usage. You might try adjusting Parallels and how much RAM is allocates.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks for that dt. I think I might switch to boot camp and see how that goes.

Cheers M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.