Hardware Upgrade Suggestions

Reaction score
So I am not very savvy when it comes to hardware and what configurations to get the best performance out of my machine. I was hoping that you could give me some suggestions on what best to upgrade. I was thinking maybe an SSD upgrade?

Id love to hear your thoughts!

Model Name: Mac Pro early 2008
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
HD 500GB (110GB Used)

I use the machine to run the adobe suite, no gaming, but I do have quite a few programs running at a time.

Any other info you need just ask!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A SSD would be a nice addition. Certainly would speed things up. Hang on for a bit until our resident Mac Pro guys have a chance to tune in and advise you on the upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use a Mercury Extreme SSD from OWC and it really flies. Boot up in about fifteen seconds and everything is super fast. Suggest an Icey Dock to pop the SSD in.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So I'm guessing by the sounds of it that based off what I have the SSD upgrade would be the best way to go. I'm open to any other suggestions too! Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Compared to an SSD there are no other suggestions lol!

When you pop it in, move the current drive to position two, and the SSD into position one. Do a clean system install and not a cloning, and use Migration Assistant to the move applications, network settings etc over from the original drive.

When my SSD was working well, formatted No. 2 drive and cloned it using registered version of SuperDuper.

C

chas_m

Some of us curmudgeonly types don't think the zippiness of the SSD justifies the price, but if money isn't an issue than by all means.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.