As you can tell I am new to Mac

Reaction score
Is there a way to split the screen. That is having two applications open and working on both at the same time?

Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sure - simply resize a window from the bottom right hand corner to a suitable size. Do that for both windows and arrange them next to each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And there are a few software add-ons that will automate that for you. I don't use one, but maybe someone who does can give you a name or a link.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab BetterTouchTool from Great Tools For Your Mac By Andreas Hegenberg » BetterTouchTool, BetterSnapTool & SecondBar and once installed, you can drag a window by it's top bar to the top right of the screen to have it take up the right half of the screen, drag to the left top of the screen to take up the left half and drag the window straight up to the top to have it take up the whole screen..

The tool has other nice features too, but I use it mainly for this feature..:)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As vansmith says, you can open as many windows as you care, resizing each as he/she describes.

There is an app I use called Cinch which does all this for you. I think it is still free and can be downloaded from: Cinch for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

There are others which can divide the screen into quarters, vertical halves, horizontal halves and all points between.

But you can do all this yourself. You can literally have as many windows open as you have space.

Another nice touch is that if you have several windows open, press F9 (top row, keyboard) and it produces miniatures of all your windows.

Enjoy your new Mac. Wise choice.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. F9, I bet thats what the gal at Best Buy did when she was demonstrating it. To be truthful I don't, wouldn't, use the feature often, but it's a nice to have option. I've been following two groups of baby eagles, from eggs, to hatch, and waiting for them to fledge. So I try to keep the streams open, may get lucky and see them take to the sky:)

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
just dl'ed it, easy to use, and seems it can be helpful in the future

Reaction score
I got Divvy for free in a bundle, it is my most used apps. I have shortcuts for every usable window size.

alt+1 for full screen, alt+2 for left half, alt+3 for right half, alt+4 for top half, and so on, with 6 7 8 and 9 as quarters and 0 as center not quite full screen.

It has saved me so much time and effort but it could be a bit expensive.

C

chas_m

Since nobody's mentioned it, the OP may not be aware of Spaces. Who needs to compromise on window size when you have Spaces? In fact, Lion will be taking this concept to the next level and I can't wait.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This should be everything you need to know about Spaces.

iNB

Reaction score
This should be everything you need to know about Spaces.

Wow - thanks vansmith.

I'm still waiting for my first Mac to arrive in the mail, so I'm reading the forums looking for useful information. This particular item is great and will help me loads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Btw... in case you are not familiar with this... if you find one of your windows buried you can use Command + Tab to bring up icons for all the open applications and then keep hitting Tab while holding down Command to select the one you want to bring to the front.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add to feralicious' post, you can cycle through the windows of a specific application with Command + ~.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.