Is it OK to use Dell or other PC monitors with my MBP?

Reaction score
I use a 17" MBP. I want to get a 2nd external monitor and am looking at craigslist. Will any monitor be fine? I assume so but figured I should ask. I'm thinking about this monitor.

Would any Dell or PC monitor work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure. Any monitor should work, as long as you have the appropriate adapter (DVI, VGA, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I am using a Dell 24" 1920x1200 - works great. I did try a 1920x1080 HP monitor - but the fonts looked funny to me - so I went back to my Dell. It looked something like this
osx - 1080p - MacOS X - Screen / Font rendering very bad - Super User
Couldn't find anything on the web to fix it. Tried DVI and and HDMI both looked the same. It isn't the monitor because I have a old G4 Mac Mini (through VGA) hooked up to it and it looks fine.

Anyway - Also consider Monoprice if you are looking for a converter. Their mini display port converters are much cheaper than Apple's. (supposing you have a recent MBP, they have also mini dvi converters for older Macs.)
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.