Macbook Air - sick and tired of it.

Reaction score
Within the last twelve months:

- I have had a new hard drive fitted at apple store which cost £140

- The hinges messed up which broke the screen and had to be fitted at apple store, free of charge (common problem)

- Now, as of yesterday, the sound output hardware failure has occurred - also a common problem. I am not sure whether this is going to cost me or not as I am yet to contact Apple.

I am completely fed up with this Macbook Air - it is just not reliable enough, the hardware problem initially resulted in me losing a lot of photos, uni work and other notes. Three visits to Apple in under 12 months for a machine regarded to be highly reliable.

If i took it into store could i possible get the option of handing this machine back to them and a credit (plus my cash) to purchase a new macbook pro? Or will I have to send this to ebay and cut my losses?

FYI I do no have apple care, and this mac is around two years old.

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
How are you caring for the machine? Are you being careful with it or tossing it around?

Your issues aren't very common, we rarely hear about anyone having as many problems with a machine.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Within the last twelve months:

- I have had a new hard drive fitted at apple store which cost £140

- The hinges messed up which broke the screen and had to be fitted at apple store, free of charge (common problem)

- Now, as of yesterday, the sound output hardware failure has occurred - also a common problem. I am not sure whether this is going to cost me or not as I am yet to contact Apple.

I am completely fed up with this Macbook Air - it is just not reliable enough, the hardware problem initially resulted in me losing a lot of photos, uni work and other notes. Three visits to Apple in under 12 months for a machine regarded to be highly reliable.

If i took it into store could i possible get the option of handing this machine back to them and a credit (plus my cash) to purchase a new macbook pro? Or will I have to send this to ebay and cut my losses?

FYI I do no have apple care, and this mac is around two years old.

Thanks for any advice!

Seems to be a few conflicting statements here - on the one hand, you're describing issues you're having and then appending those statements with the label "common problem" - yet in the next breath you say this is a machine that is "regarded to be highly reliable". Common problems and highly reliable do not typically equate.

If these are indeed issues you're experiencing under normal usage - then I can understand your frustration. I will say I haven't seen many complaints of this nature regarding the Air - most seem to find it a reliable and surprisingly rugged machine, given that it's not explicitly designed to be tossed around.

I'd be surprised if, at this point in ownership, you'd be able to walk into an Apple store with cash in hand and get full credit for the Air towards an upgrade.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I understand your assessment that the laptop may have been 'tossed around' - I would just like to politely say this is not something i have done. The machine shows no signs of damage i.e scratches, dents or marks.

When I mentioned 'common problem' it was the guy at the genius bar who told me the hinges do stick and they are 'common' - a search on this forum will show up. When I stated the Mac is "regarded to be highly reliable" this was told to me from the apple salesperson at point of sale.

I have since searched for 'sound output broken' on Mac and lots of users have this problem. The machine I have must just be an awkward machine.

Seems to be a few conflicting statements here - on the one hand, you're describing issues you're having and then appending those statements with the label "common problem" - yet in the next breath you say this is a machine that is "regarded to be highly reliable". Common problems and highly reliable do not typically equate.

If these are indeed issues you're experiencing under normal usage - then I can understand your frustration. I will say I haven't seen many complaints of this nature regarding the Air - most seem to find it a reliable and surprisingly rugged machine, given that it's not explicitly designed to be tossed around.

I'd be surprised if, at this point in ownership, you'd be able to walk into an Apple store with cash in hand and get full credit for the Air towards an upgrade.

How are you caring for the machine? Are you being careful with it or tossing it around?

Your issues aren't very common, we rarely hear about anyone having as many problems with a machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.