Upgrading from Mac OS X

OP
R
Reaction score
All right, thanks. I have quite a number of applications and programs (and files, of course) installed on this version of the OS. I bought this Mac in January 2008 and have only upgraded to newer releases of the same version through the Software Update. Could you recommend a resource that outlines how to upgrade from OS 10.x.x to Snow Leopard in the safest way possible?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The runs automatically once you insert the disc and click the installer, keeping everything in tact.
Even if you're not upgrading, you should have an external HD with time machine backups, and preferably a clone like Carbon Copy Cloner.
Carbon Copy Cloner - Home
You should check to see if there is any software that you have that is not compatible with Snow Leopard, although most developers are up to speed.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility
Installing Snow Leopard: What you need to know | Mac OS X | Macworld

OP
R
Reaction score
I am using Time Machine for regular backups, although without Carbon Copy Cloner. I've read another thread on upgrading the OS (erase and install vs upgrade-install), where one user recommended SuperDuper:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...35262-upgrading-10-6-snow-leopard-10-5-a.html

I'm not sure which disk copier is the best, but I'd like to do an erase and install (seems the more thorough option), so it looks like I will be choosing between one of the above.

Cheers,
/ rubyist

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Either of those will work nicely. The paid version of SuperDuper has a few features that seem to either not be available or not be as easily implemented in Carbon Copy Cloner.

You can also use Apple's Disk Utility program to clone your drive. The problem with Disk Utility is that each time you clone a drive it's "all or nothing" whereas the other programs can perform incremental clones one the initial one is completed. ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac

OP
R
Reaction score
All right guys, thank you both for help! The road ahead is clear.

Cheers,
/ rubyist

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.