No audio after resetting PRAM

Reaction score
Hi, I just reset my PRAM for the first time on my MacbookPro running OSX 10.6.7 because it was hesitating a lot, and now I have no audio with or without headphones. Every time I press the volume up or down buttons, a window pops up showing the volume locked on full with a "do not" symbol below (circle with a line thru it). My wife said she had the problem a few days ago, but I never have until just now after resetting the PRAM. I NEED AUDIO ASAP. Please help. because I really don't know what to do. I read that it may be a driver issue, but I don't know where/how to fix that. I also read about people jamming toothpicks in their headphone jacks to fix it... really?! Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Resetting the PRAM likely had nothing to do with the audio being muted. First, go into your System Preferences, Sound, and check to see if the sound has been accidentally muted.

If it's OK, the headphone jack is probably stuck. Use a strong toothpick and insert in the jack and move it slightly around to try to release the switch that's inside. You might also try inserting and removing a headphone male plug several times to see if that clears it.

OP
T
Reaction score
when I went into sound preferences, I cannot access any of the controls - they are all "off limits" (unclickable). The "mute" box is also checked, but can't be unchecked. Could this be from the jack input being stuck? I'll try the toothpick in a while to see if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.