External Hard Drive Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I need advice to configure an external hard drive for a new iMac, exclusively for backups. My computer boots from the SSD (Well, will boot - it hasn't arrived yet :) ). I plan to move the /Users directory to the 1TB internal hard drive. (I am fairly knowledgeable of Linux but a new Mac user - but have read numerous threads and believe this move makes sense).

My question is - does the following make sense:

2 TB Iomega Firewire 800 external drive (I know thunderbolt devices are coming but the initial ones are bound to have a price premium).

On this drive, one 256Gb partition for a clone of the SSD. The remaining space used as a partition exclusively for Time Machine.

The computer will be used by my wife and I just want her to have the assurance she can recover past documents for any reasonable period of time - plus be able to restore the boot drive easily in the event of a disaster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
the partition part seems to make sense to me. Your computer will have 2 internal drives? An SSD and a 1TB?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should work nicely. If you are going to do that and are consistent with updating the clone, you can probably safely tell Time Machine not to back up the Applications and System files. Thus leaving a longer period of time for data backups before the other partition fills up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.