Finder Sidebar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
Can't find anything relevant here.
A new problem to me.

I usually drag a few folders onto the sidebar, which I assume are aliases. Since a restore from a Time Machine backup due to physical HD failure, and I'm delighted everything is in place just as before!

BUT

My alias folders in PLACES can't be removed. I played with the sidebar prefs - the default items can be checked or unchecked. I tend to keep 'em all. I want to remove those folders and make new ones. Right clicking anything in the sidebar gives the remove from sidebar... option in the list, but NOT these! Clicking on them used to put the contents in the main window. Some were connected server directories; some local, and individual files. They opened with the subtle zoom effect. Nothing works. All I can do it move these items around in PLACES. Right-click only gives Open Sidebar Preferences...

Is the a system file I can use to remove these aliases? I tried trashing user -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.sidebarlists.plists

it was in the bin but, as usual, it eventually re-appears, with no changes. Is there a better way?

This file opens in XCode, but I can't make much sense of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
cmd>click>drag off the sidebar then release the click and they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

HTH

Cheers

OP
twitchymike@mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
You been using a Mac for a while?

I know my flowerkey. I can't believe that's not possible with a right-click, or just a drag.

OK. Took me 5 seconds.

Ta!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^ Learnt all i know from this forum mate. Glad it all worked out.

Cheers

Reaction score
command click is different from a right click which is actually a control click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I know my flowerkey. I can't believe that's not possible with a right-click, or just a drag.
That's a term is new to me. Actually, the symbol closely resembles a "clover-leaf" highway interchange. But, yeah, many things on the Sidebar can be removed with a simple drag.

command click is different from a right click which is actually a control click.
This. ...but the right click won't do it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.