downloading files in OS X

Reaction score
whenever i download a file it automatically saves to the desktop with seemingly no option to save directly to a file. does anyone know if there is a way (such as in windows) that i can save a downloaded file directly to a folder without having to drag and drop it from the desktop?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Assuming you're using Safari as your web browser, you can set the default download location in Preferences (Safari menu => Preferences => General tab):

2011-06-19_1238.png

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for your reply. i'm using firefox, and under preferences/general it gives me the option to "always ask me where to save files". the problem is that it only gives me the general options of desktop/applications/documents/etc. when saving the downloaded file. it doesn't allow me to browse through all my folders. is there something else i need to click to allow me to browse through my folders when choosing a folder to save in?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is from Firefox 4. I can point it to any folder. Just click on the right drive and keep clicking till you navigate to the right folder. Click the Save Files To button. Click on Choose. See 2nd pic.

Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 11.18.24 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 11.23.36 AM.jpg

C

chas_m

tthe problem is that it only gives me the general options of desktop/applications/documents/etc. when saving the downloaded file. it doesn't allow me to browse through all my folders.

Yes it does.

When you have "always ask me" checked in download preferences, when you get to the point where it asks you where to download:

to expand your saving location options. Once you've done that a couple of times, you can change the preference to always save in that location.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, is that pic from FF 3 or 4? Mine looks different in 4.0.1 here. Just curious.

Figured it out. Yours is from a different option. I wondered why they looked different! :D

C

chas_m

It's from FF5 release candidate, which came out yesterday. Yes, 5. No major improvements, they've just decided to release "major" version numbers every few weeks, a la Chrome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's from FF5 release candidate, which came out yesterday. Yes, 5. No major improvements, they've just decided to release "major" version numbers every few weeks, a la Chrome.

Does 5 do anything 4 does not do? I should get the RC of 5. Thanks BTW!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.