Faster HD in older MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
My 15" MacBook Pro dual core intell about 4 years old, needs a new hard drive, so i am going to put a 1TB in it. Seagate makes on that has a 64 MB cache and reads at 6gig/sec but it is about $200.

Will i really see a speed difference in my older Mac?

Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That drive will not fit in your MBP. The drive is 15mm tall. You need to look for a standard 9.5mm tall drive.

You're not going to find a drive of the proper size in anything over a 640GB (maybe a 750GB) drive size.

You also do not have 6Gb/sec controller, so looking at those is also a waste of time and money unless you want to look at a SSD.

OP
T
Reaction score
Really invaluable information. Saved me much time and expense. You are good Mr. Admin. Thanks so much.

One more question, "unless you want to look at a SSD." What is SSD?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those high dollar solid state drives - the ones that are still too expensive for us common folk. ;D newegg

Personally, I've upgraded to the WD 500GB 7200rpm drive in my 4 yr old MBP.
I'd also currently recommend Hitachi drives as replacements.

The Samsung will work - just not a fan of that brand.

(And just to note, the 6Gb/sec drives are backwards compatible, so that's not really an issue except where you're paying a premium over the comparable 3Gb/sec drive.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Go to OWC ~ MacSales.com and follow the prompts to fill in your mac Specs and then that your looking for a HD and they will bring up a list of all compatible HD's for your machine. Then with that information go shopping either there or the newegg link that bobtomay supplied.

OWC is highly recommended around here as is newegg

Cheers

Reaction score
Really invaluable information. Saved me much time and expense. You are good Mr. Admin. Thanks so much.

One more question, "unless you want to look at a SSD." What is SSD?
It's a type of drive. Solid state drive. Basically flash memory in place of a spinning HD. The MBA's use it. It has the benefits of using less power, being more sturdy (drops or movement), lighter, and less heat. Oh and insane speeds. The problem is that it has a finite number of read and writes (although it's a huge number) and it's very expensive for the storage you get.

It's great if you need the fastest but IMO for the "average" user (someone not doing intensive stuff and needing the FASTEST they can get from a laptop) you can upgrade to a higher RPM harddrive (5200 at the minimum IMO) and have more space at a lower price.

It's great but the price to storage ratio is what keeps a lot of people away. I personally don't need one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.