Slow startup after system restore

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering, its nothing huge just annoying, ever since i took my macbook pro to the apple store with a software problem, they had to do a system restore. it worked in terms of correcting the software problem, but ever since that time (a couple of months ago) the startup time has slowed down hugely!! the little turning cog turns about 16/17 times compared to the previous 2 rotations before i think! nothing huge, everything else is fine, just annoying having to wait that long with this!! appreciate any useful answers in advance! cheers guys! x

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Head into System Preferences - Startup.

Select your OS X partition and reboot.

OP
F
Reaction score
sorry no, that didnt work, i had already seen that on a mac forum thread before, and it didnt work last time, but nevertheless tried it again!...but it didnt work! Alas... x :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Check out if anything has been installed, or installed itself, in Startup and Login Items. Latter is in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and Startup under System > Library > Startup Items.

OP
F
Reaction score
nooo didnt work either harry! guessing you guys have got macs too, how many rotations do yours do on startup? x

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You mentioned that the Apple store did a system restore. What kind of restore did they do? In other words, did they completely reinstall OS X or just some programs?

Usually, a clean install of OS X will speed things up rather than slow it down. That's why I'm asking if you know exactly what it was they did?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay use your Leopard or Snow Leopard install disc to erase and format the hard drive, do a clean install and download the latest Combo Updater from Apple, either OS X.5.8 or OS X.6.7 ~ helps if you provide your operating system. If you have applications you wish to save, clone them to an external hard drive and transfer back via Migration Assistant.

On a Mac Pro with a Mercury Extreme, two revolutions and fifteen second boot time total if that helps.

OP
F
Reaction score
they did a complete system restore! i only saved a couple of files to one of their removable hardrives and transfered them afterwards, and harry, no its okay thanks, i really just wanted a way to maybe speed up the whole process without having to go that far of another system restore! i think if it gets any slower and REALLY starts to bug me, then i might have to do it! cheers though x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.