G4 apple hardware test

Reaction score
Hello

I am running a 1.25ghz emac which started playing up on me today, first safari hung and force quit wouldn't work, when I tried to open activity monitor to force quit a bit more firmly activity monitor hung as well, so I opened terminal, switched to root user and tried to kill the process, no joy there either.
After rebooting now finder is playing up if leopard boots at all, I suspect that the ram has finally given out but I can boot far enough to run tech tool deluxe any more, I don't have any ram sticks to replace the current ones and I no longer have the original discs.
Does anyone remember what version apple hardware test I need? If you know a download link that would be helpful also.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I doubt if it is the Ram, that is playing up, Bad RAM would couse a problem from when you install it and I have never had RAM 'go bad' on me.

If you have the Leopard install disk then boot up from that, if not try booting in safe mode (press S on startup) and try and run some TLC on the mac.

Start with Disk utility and run a disk check and do a permissions reppair on the start disk.

If you can download the combo installer, after you have done all the disk checks, then run it whether you have that version or not, that will do a lot to refresh the OS installation

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

OP
K
Reaction score
I doubt it's a problem with permissions as I was in terminal as the root user and that made no difference, unfortunately neither is booting in safe mode and unfortunately the leopard install disc either spit out a need to restart message or simply stays at the grey apple screen for an hour (got frustrated and turned it off after an hour), it was already updated to 10.5.8 so trying to update won't work.
Since it won't even boot successfully off the install disc the only thing I can think of that would cause this is a hardware error, that's why I'm looking for the apple hardware test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
K
Reaction score
1.2.2 was for the 1ghz model and lower, it only works with sdr ram and spits out "invalid memory access error" if the computer uses DDR ram, I appreciate your assistance but it is actually the wrong version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mactracker lists AHT required as version 2.2 and this does not appear to be available for download. Here is one place that sells the disc but not cheap:-

691-4931-A Apple Hardware Test (AHT) for iMac, eMac v2.2

Also perhaps the hard drive is failing. Try booting from the Leopard install disc and run Repair Disk from there.

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't boot from the install disc, it gets to the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning thing, it just spins without moving on, I'll try ripping out the hard drive and checking it with an external bay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the Leopard disc a full retail install DVD, black coloured, and not a silver/grey system disc from another computer? If it is a system disc it will never boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.