Mail Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have purchased a new iMac for my wife's birthday. This is the first Mac for either of us and I want to make the transition as painless as possible. She uses Thunderbird for her mail program and I know it is available for the Mac, but I would like to try the native mail program. She will have two mail accounts. Is it possible to have incoming mail from both accounts appear in a common inbox or a single smart folder? Any advice appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. Mail can easily handle the situation you describe. I currently have it checking four accounts. If I click Inbox it shows me mail from all four accounts. In my case I expanded the view to see each account's mailbox but you don't have to do that.

C

chas_m

When you have more than one email account, Mail's default behaviour is to show a single inbox with a "little triangle" next to it. Clicking on it make it point downward and shows the separate inboxes for each account.

OP
Bob_Stan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - she will be pleased!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just as an aside, if she still wants to use Thunderbird on the Mac, you can transfer all her mail from Windows to Mac by doing the following -

1. Install Thunderbird on your Mac
2. Run Thunderbird (so it creates the folder <user>/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles (just cancel setting up an email address)
3. It has now registered the program, so delete the profile it just created.
4. Replace it with the entire Profile folder directly from your PC.

I hope she enjoys the new computer!

OP
Bob_Stan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just as an aside, if she still wants to use Thunderbird on the Mac, you can transfer all her mail from Windows to Mac by doing the following -

And if you were using the NNTP news reader included with Thunderbird in Windows, you can do the same as described above by member EvenStranger to transfer the account to the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.