Crucial vs. Samsung

Reaction score
Hello -

Is there any difference between Crucial memory and the Samsung "factory" replacement memory at OWC? Crucial is less expensive, but if the Samsung is better, I would spend the extra few bucks. However, I have seen nothing but praise about Crucial, so I am leaning that way.

I searched the forums, but I didn't see anything on my specific question, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Crucial and OWC are highly regarded and recommended. You don't have to order the Samsung modules from OWC, just order their stock modules. They'll work fine. That's what I order from them when I need memory and have never had a problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Hello -

Is there any difference between Crucial memory and the Samsung "factory" replacement memory at OWC? Crucial is less expensive, but if the Samsung is better, I would spend the extra few bucks. However, I have seen nothing but praise about Crucial, so I am leaning that way.

I searched the forums, but I didn't see anything on my specific question, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Thanks
I've always been told by knowledgeable engineers that if you are not getting the Apple Branded memory, go with either OWC or Crucial Memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OWC memory is usually the cheapest option and comes with a lifetime warranty. Strongly recommend the memory and the warranty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've always been told by knowledgeable engineers that if you are not getting the Apple Branded memory, go with either OWC or Crucial Memory.
Open a Mac and you'll generally find Samsung or Nanya. There really isn't such a thing as Apple branded RAM. They buy based on spec, like every other computer manufacturer out there. FWIW Crucial is the consumer name for Micron, very well respected RAM manufacturer as well (same with Lexar actually).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Sorry....i shouldn't have used the term "Apple Branded." What I meant was the RAM that Apple puts in their computers when they build them, the ones you find on their website. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
A big +1 for Crucial. I live in the UK and have just maxed-out my RAM to 16GB on my 2010 iMac after reading various threads on this very subject both here and elsewhere.

Installation was easy-peasy as well. :) download instructs from Apple. :)

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be many places in the UK to get good prices on memory (unless anyone on here knows of anywhere?) , I've found that Ireland offer the best prices.

MemoryC.co.uk - computer memory laptop memory and flash memory supplier

or

This fella on ebay - username: 7392_dog (Flexxmemory)

Item number: 290669604187

Item number: 300661233585

has a lot of good Samsung + Crucial memory deals at great prices!!

Have to ask though, what does OWC stand for ?? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Other World Computing. They sell stuff guaranteed to work with Macs and stand behind their products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.