I hate Itunes

Reaction score
Can anyone give me positive feedback on why I shouldn't? Perhaps if you could tell me how to add a song to a now playing songlist. Or if you could tell me a way to easily remove duplicate songs from my itunes library without deleting each song individually. Mac is above and beyond than pc...zune software for music is above and beyond itunes....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your thread was posted in Community Suggestions and Feedback which it has nothing to do with. I moved it to OSX Applications as that is what iTunes is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Could you elaborate a little bit on the playlist? Are you wanting to be able to add the song that is "Now Playing" to a playlist automatically that is designated for adding only songs that are currently playing?

For removing duplicates I can recommend that you give Dupin from Doug a try. It should get the job done. A full-featured demo is available. It allows 20 tracks to be found, and one "purging" to take place per session. It does the trick though, and if this important enough for you to do then it's worth the money.

Apple has a support article that recommends showing duplicates within iTunes, then sorting by date to separate the duplicates so that you can easily delete multiple files at once. See if this article is of any assistance.

If you are interested in alternatives to iTunes, I'd have a look at Songbird. It is the best shot you have for a full iTunes replacement on OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
I get duplicates. My job is to deal with that, on a scale of huge corporate datawarehouses, using SQL Server, and to carefully create a complex query to pinpoint the root cause.

Having to remove dupes manually is painful, once the count is above 200. Just order the dupes by name, or bitrate or date_added if you prefer, and cream them off into the trash. I wish there was an option for that in Automator; I have to say it's dismal!

I considered importing and analysing the iTunes XML file into SQL Server, which would take 0.001 seconds to show a report of the top... 1,000 dupes, and the count per tune, but then no real way to go and delete these automatically, going by date_added or choose the lowest or highest bitrate, resulting in a copy per library. Oh, Apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.