File Vault Issues

Reaction score
Hello one and all,
I recently bought and installed a new HDD into my late 2009 MBP am trying to transfer everything over. I have it all backed up to an external disk. When I go into migration assistant, I can't swap my profile over because my profile is backed up with fire vault. When I re-enter my original HDD and try to deactivate the fire vault, it tells me "Turning off fire vault requires an additional 88.4 GB of free disk space on the volume '***'. Try emptying the Trash or deleting files you don't need." Well I'm not exactly a file pack rat so I definitely do not have 88.4 GB of extra files laying around. And the reason I am trying to switch out HDD is because as you may be able to tell, I am flat out of room in my HDD. Any suggestions? I'm not afraid to go into all of the fun stuff inside my mac so just about anything with enough instructions will work!

Thanks for reading through and hopefully thanks for an answer!

OP
D
Reaction score
Fire Vault Issues

Hello one and all,
I recently bought and installed a new HDD into my late 2009 MBP am trying to transfer everything over. I have it all backed up to an external disk. When I go into migration assistant, I can't swap my profile over because my profile is backed up with fire vault. When I re-enter my original HDD and try to deactivate the fire vault, it tells me "Turning off fire vault requires an additional 88.4 GB of free disk space on the volume '***'. Try emptying the Trash or deleting files you don't need." Well I'm not exactly a file pack rat so I definitely do not have 88.4 GB of extra files laying around. And the reason I am trying to switch out HDD is because as you may be able to tell, I am flat out of room in my HDD. Any suggestions? I'm not afraid to go into all of the fun stuff inside my mac so just about anything with enough instructions will work!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello one and all,

Separately transfer your photo library to the new hard drive, then delete from your original. This should free several gigs of disk space.

OP
D
Reaction score
I am going to delete this thread and move it to the appropriate forum but thanks for the response

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to delete this thread and move it to the appropriate forum but thanks for the response

If you figure out how to do that, let me know. Only the mods have that ability.

OP
D
Reaction score
As in I am just going to stop maintaining this one and make a copy on the other forum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads. A single thread per topic is sufficient.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As in I am just going to stop maintaining this one and make a copy on the other forum.

There's not really much point in doing that:
1) Multiple posts are discouraged and the mods will merge any multiples
2) They will also move this post if it is deemed to be in the wrong place
3) Most of our older members typically check for new posts, regardless of the forum

EDIT: I was too slow in typing

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggest you re-read my suggestion.

If you do a search on File Vault you will see the horrendous problems you can get into if you aren't (and sometimes even if you are) careful.
The safest and easiest way is to drag the larger chunks of your data (in my case iPhoto Library was 30Gb by itself) to the new drive. After you have freed space you can safely undo File Vault. Tedious, but it works.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow, talk about a forum noob! haha. I'll get better at this I promise. So as far as moving the files over, (In my case it's my iTunes library), if I were to just drag it over to my external drive, then I could more or less delete it off my MBP so that I could convert my fire vault? I don't want to lose my whole iTunes library.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, talk about a forum noob! haha. I'll get better at this I promise. So as far as moving the files over, (In my case it's my iTunes library), if I were to just drag it over to my external drive, then I could more or less delete it off my MBP so that I could convert my fire vault? I don't want to lose my whole iTunes library.

The safest way I know is to copy your iTunes Library, then rename your old library and fire up iTunes and make it use the new Library. Once you are sure all is well you can delete the old one.

OP
D
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of space. (it's a 50 gb library and I only have 12GB of space left) Kids, let this be a lesson to you, don't fire vault unless you know what you are doing, and don't wait until you only have a few GB left on your HDD before you upgrade it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of space. (it's a 50 gb library and I only have 12GB of space left) Kids, let this be a lesson to you, don't fire vault unless you know what you are doing, and don't wait until you only have a few GB left on your HDD before you upgrade it.

By copy, I mean to your new drive

EDIT: maybe I'm getting confused. Is the new drive formatted and with OSX installed? If so, once you clear the space by doing a manual move of your iTunes Library you should Be good to go. I would rename the Library just to make doubly sure it doesn't get overwritten.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'll re-explain it. I just bought a new HDD to go into my MBP. It doesn't have an external enclosure so I am using my back up drive as an intermediary between the two. The goal is to get my account onto the new HDD but I can't because it's fire vaulted and I can't undo the fire vault because I don't have the space on the existing HDD. What I am trying now is to move my music library separately from old HDD to the back up intermediary drive, to the new HDD which I will install in my computer to copy over the music Library. The idea then being I could put back in the old HDD, delete the 50 GB music library and successfully convert my fire vaulted HDD back to a regular format, back it up to my intermediary drive, and then restore it all onto the new HDD. I'm sorry I probably just made that way more confusing!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll re-explain it. I just bought a new HDD to go into my MBP. It doesn't have an external enclosure so I am using my back up drive as an intermediary between the two. The goal is to get my account onto the new HDD but I can't because it's fire vaulted and I can't undo the fire vault because I don't have the space on the existing HDD. What I am trying now is to move my music library separately from old HDD to the back up intermediary drive, to the new HDD which I will install in my computer to copy over the music Library. The idea then being I could put back in the old HDD, delete the 50 GB music library and successfully convert my fire vaulted HDD back to a regular format, back it up to my intermediary drive, and then restore it all onto the new HDD. I'm sorry I probably just made that way more confusing!

Aaah! Now I see. I had the impression you had moved the old drive into an external enclosure and were transferring from it.
Your situation reminds me of the old puzzle about the farmer with the fox, chicken and bag of corn crossing the stream.
Hope everything works out for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Haha that is exactly what this feels like. I hope it works too! I'll keep you all posted because I'm sure you all must be hanging on edge to see what happens!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha that is exactly what this feels like. I hope it works too! I'll keep you all posted because I'm sure you all must be hanging on edge to see what happens!

Good luck, and I am interested.
One other thing I have occasionally run into when pulling things out of File Vault. The permissions can get screwed up so you have to manually reset them, something to be aware of if it happens. Not the end of the world, just annoying to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Kids, let this be a lesson to you, don't fire vault unless you know what you are doing, and don't wait until you only have a few GB left on your HDD before you upgrade it.

I had FileVault issues and without repeating my self have a look at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/180474-peoples-take-file-vault-please.html for my solution.

Its a nightmare and unless you have secret squirrel stuff to hide, please stay away from filevault. Will be interesting to see the upgrades they have made to it in Lion 10.7

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
I had FileVault issues and without repeating my self have a look at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/180474-peoples-take-file-vault-please.html for my solution.

Its a nightmare and unless you have secret squirrel stuff to hide, please stay away from filevault. Will be interesting to see the upgrades they have made to it in Lion 10.7

Cheers

Yeah, fire vault sounded like a good idea in theory, but this has turned out to be a total nightmare!

OP
D
Reaction score
Problem Solved! I took a couple of my biggest libraries (Music, videos) and separately copied them to the external back up drive. After they had been successfully copied, I deleted them off of my home folder. Once enough space had free up to turn fire vault off, I turned it off and re-copied the files onto my original home folder and ran a back up which allowed me to finally bring over my whole account to the new HDD.

Moral of the story kids, don't use fire vault unless you know what you are doing, and you really want to hide something, otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Thanks for all of your help and input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.