Help clearing my macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for the help.

I am interested in I guess you could call "semi-clearing" out my macbook pro. I want to take away all documents to clear up maximum space, but keep applications such as microsoft office suite, safari, etc. I have no startup disk or anything. In the link below, there is a post detailing how to "leave os and applications in-tact and clear hard drive". It's pretty much all technobabble to me though, so I would appreciate if someone could tell me if that method would work for my purposes, and if not, how I should go about clearing up the macbook pro.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/132646-wiping-hard-drive.html#post767230

Once again, thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would help if you would tell us which version of OS X you're currently running as that makes a big difference in how to proceed.

And, even before you start thinking about how to go about this, I strongly suggest purchasing a set of install recovery disks. Also, the method described in that post will remove a user account. If you remove your user account, you will be locked out of the machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
computer type

Well, I am using a macbook pro 5,1. If a method requires a bunch of disks or something I think the best way may be to just manually go to documents, and select them and delete 1 by 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.