Mousepad/keyboard has stopped responding in Windows but works fine in Mac Os.

Reaction score
Hi there,

Have just switched my Mac on to find the mousepad/clicker and keyboard has stopped responding when running Windows. At the mo I'm using the Mac OS and everything seems to be working fine, although the mousepad isn't responding.

Anyone had this problem before? Can anyone help please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the keypad and mouse wireless? Open your hardware tree in Windows and check to see if there is an exclamation ! mark over the mouse and keyboard. It sounds like the drivers may be missing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,
No it's not. Sorry, I forgot to say I have a macbook air. The usb and everything else seems to be working fine, but the mouse is just frozen on the desktop and no keys respond. However I'm using the Mac Os just now and everythings working fine :s

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doesn't make any difference if it's a MacBook Air, it sounds like a driver problem. The frozen mouse cursor is usually caused by a bad or missing video driver. The keyboard driver may also be missing. Try reinstalling all your Windows drivers again.

I guess I should ask.... how did you install Windows? Do you have the MacBook Air external optical drive?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yep I have the external drive, installed it with a cd about 3 years ago. Never had any problems since.

How do I operate windows and install drivers with out using a mouse n keyboard? I don't have usb ones to connect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this: Boot into Windows and insert your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD in the external optical drive. The driver executable should automatically start. Any drivers already present will be overwritten, but that's OK. The missing drivers should be reinstalled. Let us know how it goes.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks.. will the above overwrite any of my data?

I went to the Genius bar today and he suggested I update Mac Os. He tried to update it how ever I didn't have enough disk space. Is there a way to delete files from Windows through the Mac OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The process I described will not disturb or overwrite any of your Windows data files. It will however, overwrite the drivers that are already installed as I pointed out above. The idea is to get it to install the drivers that are missing.

As for updating OS X, I assume you're running Leopard. The reason the genius suggested updating to Snow Leopard is because that will give you a newer version of Boot Camp and later drivers. How is deleting files from Windows going to help you gain more space in your OS X partition? You need a larger hard drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi again,
I did the above but the cd won't run automatically :s

Is there a way to boot from CD? I shut down the system, had the cd in and pressed f2 at start up but it just went to some sort of Apple hardware test?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the DVD won't run automatically, insert the DVD in the optical drive and look for the Windows executable file.. (you need to do that from the Windows File Explorer). Once you find it, double click on it to run the driver install.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can't click or anything on Windows..

I took it into a shop today and the guy said I'll just have to reinstall Windows.. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.