How do I get a new iMac...?

Reaction score
I tried to buy a new 27"iMac via the website but soon discovered that Apple refuses to deliver to my safe, secure, inside the US Post Office signature required PO Box :Angry:....little Tiffany informed me that the US Post Office is very unreliable but the UPS man can leave it safely in the hands of one of my 2000+ neighbors here at the apartment complex:Evil:

So off I went to the local Apple store where they informed me they could only sell what they had in stock which was zero 27' iMacs w/16GB and a SS-drive....AND, no!...they could not order one on line for delivery to the store - positively against Apple Regulations (yes they said "regulations"):Angry-Tongue:

Sooooo....does anyone have a "secret-tip" for getting a new iMac via US Mail or local pickup? There must be a way...I can't be the only person on the planet with this problem?

Thanks,
Jellytoes

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I ordered my 27" iMac online and it was shipped through FedEx with signature required upon delivery. Since I'm not around the house when they deliver, after they failed the first delivery, I had them hold the package at the local center and picked it up.

I don't believe Apple ships with USPS, either FedEx or UPS. So ship it you to your home address, not a PO box and you'll have much better luck..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can generally schedule with FedEX to pick up at their location. As I recall, you can simply select the option once you have the tracking information.

OP
J
Reaction score
So you drove to the FEDEX store to pick it up? Did you get a shipping-charge rebate?

And you probably don't have to drive thru the heart of ultimate darkness to get there like I do - with an average 2.3 murders daily I have not been "downtown" in over ten-years.

But thanks for the nice reply...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
So you drove to the FEDEX store to pick it up? Did you get a shipping-charge rebate?

And you probably don't have to drive thru the heart of ultimate darkness to get there like I do - with an average 2.3 murders daily I have not been "downtown" in over ten-years.

But thanks for the nice reply...

Over 700 murders a year...?

C

chas_m

Have you considered moving to a country with real gun laws? On the island where I live, 2.3 murders is around the YEARLY average.

But no, Apple isn't going to deliver to a PO Box because a) the 27" iMac won't fit in the box and b) it's an easy target for fraud (employee takes iMac home, says it never arrived, Apple obligated to send new one).

If you want a customized Mac, either arrange with a local Apple dealer to have one sent to their store for you to pickup, or give them your home address. Unless you actually LIVE in the PO Box in the post office ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want a customized Mac, either arrange with a local Apple dealer to have one sent to their store for you to pickup, or give them your home address. Unless you actually LIVE in the PO Box in the post office ...

The OP stated that Apple will not order a customized unit and have it sent to the store. Also the OP stated that he lives in an apartment complex. If you've ever lived in an apartment complex you know that the mail boxes are even smaller than one rented at the post office. And you certainly don't want UPS dropping off your new iMac at one of the neighbor's. FedEx would be better.

Have you considered moving to a country with real gun laws? On the island where I live, 2.3 murders is around the YEARLY average.

Totally uncalled for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
What about having it delivered to your place of business?

C

chas_m

All I can tell you is that I used to work for an independent Apple Authorized Reseller and we did INDEED order custom-made Macs from Apple on behalf of our customers. All the time. Obviously we required the money up front, but other than that it wasn't a big deal for us at all.

As for the "apartment complex" problem, if there's no manager on duty to accept the package, and the person can't be there for the scheduled delivery window, I can see the issue, though I must admit that (I live in a high-rise apartment building) the idea of having the neighbour take care of a package for me doesn't strike me as odd at all. We know most of our neighbours on our floor and have done likewise for them. It's a pity the OP doesn't live somewhere like that.

I completely agree with your comments about FedEx v. UPS. Can't stand UPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Totally uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

I don't see humour being forbidden in the community guidelines??

OP
J
Reaction score
TO: chscag...Thanks, I think I found the way. I'll have it shipped to my Mother and she can re-ship via US Priority mail. Only a few dollars more but hey(!) an iMac is worth it!! Thanks to all.

OP
J
Reaction score
TO: chscag...Thanks, I think I found the way. I'll have it shipped to my Mother and she can re-ship via US Priority mail. Only a few dollars more but hey(!) an iMac is worth it!! Thanks to all.

Found Another Delivery Option - B&H Photo...

Not only will they deliver to my PO Box but will also special order a new iMac configuration...in fact they have a wide range of upscale configs in stock! Check them out if you have unique delivery concerns or requirements.

Thanks All

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Totally uncalled for.

I don't see humour being forbidden in the community guidelines??[/QUOTE]

It's not. However, that wasn't humor; it was borderline insulting which is prohibited by our guidelines. Let's stick to the topics on hand and not comment on "where I live is better than where you live".

Thanks for your comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Over 700 murders a year...?

heh, I lived in Baltimore/DC in the late 80's and early 90's. Back when the news stopped counting the murders. It really wouldn't bother me even then, generally (in my experience in that regard) the people involved in those were involved directly in enterprises that exposed them to those risks.

Either way, it was an option ;)

C

chas_m

Found Another Delivery Option - B&H Photo...

Not only will they deliver to my PO Box but will also special order a new iMac configuration...in fact they have a wide range of upscale configs in stock! Check them out if you have unique delivery concerns or requirements.

Good tip! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.