Enabling the USB Port

Reaction score
How do I enable the USB on my MacBook Pro? The puter is failing to see the iPod device I'm attempting to update my music.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Normally those ports are enabled unless something is amiss. If you plug something else into the same port (printer, thumb drive etc) is it recognized? Have you tried rebooting the system before attaching the iPod? It's not usually necessary but sometimes it clears things up.

OP
P
Reaction score
'Tried rebooting but no change. Haven't tried plugging anything else into it. I'll try. But let's suppose two scenarios: I plug something else in and it either does or does not work. What's the workaround for either eventuality?

Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it does work, there is something wrong with the cable or iPod itself (probably the cable). If it doesn't work, it could be something with the port itself.

It's hard to proceed until we know whether or not the port is working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Check the System Profiler when the iPod is plugged in and see if it recognizes anything plugged into the USB port. If it sees the iPod, but doesn't mount it or launch iTunes, then it's possible the mobile device driver is hosed and has to be reinstalled. An iTunes reinstall should resolve that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.