DVD with AVI files won't play on Mac but on PC

Reaction score
I have a DVD with some videos in AVI & MPEG-4 formats. The DVD runs and plays fine in VLC on a PC. However, the DVD won't even be read by a Mac. It just spins the DVD for a 1 and then spits it out without having shown up in Finder.

Anything I don't understand?

Reaction score
I'm surprised VLC won't work on your DVD. Perhaps there is a DVD region issue at hand here? This would explain the DVD getting cruelly rejected.

OP
T
Reaction score
The problem is that the DVD won't even show up in Finder.

I am surprised that it cannot register on the MBPro but works fine on a PC.

Maybe my Mac doesn't like the brand of DVD.

Reaction score
Select finder. Press ⌘+, to go to the preferences menu. Make sure the box "CDs, DVDs and iPods" is checked under "Show these items on the desktop".

Now click on the Sidebar tab and make sure the "CDs, DVDs and iPods" box is checked as well.

If possible, please provide a picture of the offending DVD or maybe a description. It is undamaged, right?

If the problem persists it will probably be simpler to extract the files on a PC and put them in your Mac with another DVD or a flash drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
The DVD is no longer with me. But I put the contents on a flash drive from a PC and installed it on my Mac.
I'll have to try your suggestions when I get back home in a few weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.