MacBook Pro Keyboard Backlight Controls not working

Reaction score
Hello!

After browsing every thread about keyboard problems in this forum (and others) I didn't find anything helpful. Since yesterday my keyboard backlight isn't working normally any more.
Pressing F5 or F6 shows up the HUD, but there is the " ø " on the bottom of the HUD, so i can't control my backlight using these keys.
I downloaded the tool "Lab Tick", which controls my keyboard backlight - so the backlight is working.
But i want to control my backlight with F5 and F6 again, before yesterday this was possible.

I've also read that i should go in a dark room or whatever, but this isn't working either.

Can you help me, please?

:\

PS: screenshot from my HUD is attached.

Bildschirmfoto 2011-06-18 um 18.35.08.png

Reaction score
Why?

This is exactly word for word what is happening to me right now. I just looked everywhere and people seem to think that putting your hand over the sensor solves the problem. IT DOESN'T. As soon as you remove your hand, the lights go out again. I haven't installed anything or changed any settings since yesterday (when F5 and F6 were working fine), so I don't know what could have caused this to happen. I also tried Lab Tick, and while it does do what it's meant to do, I would much rather use F5 and F6 the way they are supposed to be used (they way they have always done before yesterday). I've had my MacBook Pro for 3 years and this problem has never come up before. This is incredibly annoying.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC. See this Apple KB LINK.

Reaction score
turn off the auto-brightness

I had this and it was mysterious. but the fix is trivial

Open system prefs,

goto keyboard,

de-select "automatically illuminate keyboard in low light"

Reaction score
Macbook Pro function key problem in Window7

Macbook Pro function key problem including keyboard light and screen brightness using Window7

Problem:
Function key stopped working

Reason:
Bootcamp.exe is not working

Solution:
Find Bootcamp.exe and activate it.
Computer/BOOTCAMP(C)/Program files/Boot Camp/Bootcamp.exe
Double click on the Bootcamp.exe = Function key works now

To make this permanent solution:
Mouse over Bootcamp.exe/right click on the mouse/Pin to start menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
I had the same problem but after a week it started to work again

Reaction score
keyboard backlight problems

I don't know why my beyboard stopped lighting up. However I fixed it by pressing the command button and F6 at the same time.

Reaction score
I found the solution!

At least, I found the solution for me. I was having the exact same problem as you, I also downloaded "Lab Tick" as a test. My solution to the problem is, I put my Mac to sleep, then waited a few seconds, then woke it up, and my keyboard light was working perfectly again & I could once again control it with the F8, F9, & F10 keys (which seem to be different than most of people on here, most people say F5 & F6; same thing).

I hope this works for you and anyone else having this issue, as well. :j Have a good one!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums @james chels and thank you for your post.

Welcome though your post is, the last contribution to this thread is not far short of 10 years ago.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.