Best way to migrate?

Reaction score
I am getting a new iMac delivered next week and I want to transfer all my stuff from the existing iMac.:)

I have been researching the best method but have ended up slightly confused. There seem to be conflicting advice as to whether Migration Assistant or Setup Assistance is most suitable.:Confused:

I would appreciate advice from any forum members who have been through this process please.:)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Highly recommend Migration Assistant. I've used it twice and it has performed flawlessly both times.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just went through migrating everything over to our new iMac from a MacBook. Rather than using the Migration Assistant application, I used Time Machine. When you first boot the new iMac it'll ask if you wish to transfer from another Mac. You can choose either method.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
I just went through migrating everything over to our new iMac from a MacBook. Rather than using the Migration Assistant application, I used Time Machine. When you first boot the new iMac it'll ask if you wish to transfer from another Mac. You can choose either method.

When you first boot up the new iMac, do you have to set up an account or will all the information regarding your existing account be transferred from the old imac?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
When you first boot up the new iMac, do you have to set up an account or will all the information regarding your existing account be transferred from the old imac?

With migration assistant - it brings over all your existing profile information to the new Mac. I'm not sure about Time Machine as I haven't done it that way. I'm sure chscag will be along with an answer shortly. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The profile info will transfer over using either method. It's really your choice as to which you want to use. I like Time Machine because it has always worked for me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I've used Time Machine at least three times to create an exact copy of all my data, settings, applications, Aperture, iTunes & iPhoto libraries to a series of new iMacs without the slightest hitch.

It is said that if you had a problem on your original Mac, then Migration Assistant was better in that you could selectively transfer just those things you wanted; but as I've never been in that position I've always used TM.

TM is the easiest way of duplicating your existing system - assuming no problems.

Ian

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Thanks folks for your very valuable advice! I will post back and let you know how I get on!;D

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Thanks folks for your very valuable advice! I will post back and let you know how I get on!;D

The new iMac arrived today and as soon as it started up I took the option of transferring using the Time Machine. All going well and it has estimated another four hours transfer time. Unfortunately the Time Machine disc is USB only.

Thanks again folks.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Time Machine transfer using USB, especially if there's a lot of data involved will definitely take awhile. I used a Firewire 800 drive which turned out to be much faster. Took less than 30 minutes.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
The transfer went like a dream. It was so painless compared to my past experiences with transferring from one windows pc to another.

Well done Apple!:Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.