Help with mac to mac file migration

Reaction score
Just got a brand new imac and am trying to transfer my files from the old G3. Using Migration Assistant, I've tried Firewire, but target mac just sits there saying it's waiting for source mac to restart, even though the FireWire symbol is bouncing around the screen on source mac. Source mac uses ethernet from my cable modem, and I've only been able to get online wirelessly on target mac. So . . . it seems, after 5 hours of messing with it, my easiest route is going to be via disk (or flash drive?), but have no clue how to accomplish that.

I'm dying to take advantage of this marvelous piece of technology!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just got a brand new imac and am trying to transfer my files from the old G3. Using Migration Assistant, I've tried Firewire, but target mac just sits there saying it's waiting for source mac to restart, even though the FireWire symbol is bouncing around the screen on source mac. Source mac uses ethernet from my cable modem, and I've only been able to get online wirelessly on target mac. So . . . it seems, after 5 hours of messing with it, my easiest route is going to be via disk (or flash drive?), but have no clue how to accomplish that.

I'm dying to take advantage of this marvelous piece of technology!!

Ah… you either have your terminology confused, or you have the wrong device booted in target disk mode. Start up the new iMac as normal. Connect the two computers with firewire. Then restart the G3 in target disk mode. Once done, the G3 should have the icon bouncing around.

OP
U
Reaction score
That's what I've been doing except I have Migration Assistant open on the target mac (the new one) and when it tells me to, I restart the source mac (the G3) in target disk mode and the icon is a-bouncing, but even after 15 mins, Migration Assistant on the new mac says it's waiting for the source mac to restart.

I still think I'd be better off just using a disk (or flash drive) or would that just be a pain in the you-know-what?!

C

chas_m

Either the firewire port on the G3 is dead, or you have a bad Firewire 400-to-800 cable. That absolutely should be working as you describe it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's what I've been doing except I have Migration Assistant open on the target mac (the new one) and when it tells me to, I restart the source mac (the G3) in target disk mode and the icon is a-bouncing, but even after 15 mins, Migration Assistant on the new mac says it's waiting for the source mac to restart.

I still think I'd be better off just using a disk (or flash drive) or would that just be a pain in the you-know-what?!

Your terminology is wrong (the G3 is the TARGET, the new iMac is the HOST), but otherwise it sounds like you have things started up properly. Chas has already summed up what the problem must be. You can instead try connecting the two computers together on a wired ethernet connection and use the Network option rather than Firewire. Both will have to be turned on as normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.