finder help

Reaction score
I'm new to mac and one thing I don't like is when a open a file in finder like an image , it opens the image but then it closes finder? This is very annoying. how to I prevent this? also, in windows when I want to cycle through all folders that start with the letter "d" I just highlight a folder and keep pressing "d" on my keyboard.How do I achieve the same affect in Mac? In mac if I keep pressing "d" it looks for files/folders that start with d then "dd" and if I press it again "ddd". ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm new to mac and one thing I don't like is when a open a file in finder like an image , it opens the image but then it closes finder? This is very annoying. how to I prevent this?

That's odd. It's not supposed to do that. I can't even find an option to make it do that. What version of OS X do you have, and what software are you using to view images? Is it only images, or any type of file with any software?

also, in windows when I want to cycle through all folders that start with the letter "d" I just highlight a folder and keep pressing "d" on my keyboard.How do I achieve the same affect in Mac? In mac if I keep pressing "d" it looks for files/folders that start with d then "dd" and if I press it again "ddd". ?

Sort by name, press the first letter to jump to the first match, then scroll with the arrow key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Aha! I just learned a new trick. How exactly are you opening your files? If you hold down the OPTION key while double-clicking on a file, that will open the file in it's application and simultaneously close the Finder window. If you are not deliberately holding down the OPTION key, then it may be stuck.

OP
G
Reaction score
The Mac is o ly 3 days old and doesn't appear like the key is stuck. Btw I'd use tap to open not click if that helps .

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not entirely sure about this but I don't think the Finder is actually closing. I think it is moving into the background and allowing whatever application you need to open your files to come to the front. That program's window is covering the Finder but it is still running.

Try this for a test and let us know the results. Open an image the same way that you normally do. After the image opens press Command and Tab simultaneously and hold for a moment. You will see one icon for each program running at the moment. If you see a smiley face in two shades of blue the Finder is still running.

OP
G
Reaction score
IDk seems like it's not doing it anymore..don't know what happened..anyhow thanks for the replies..If it does it again I'll post back

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for letting us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...also, in windows when I want to cycle through all folders that start with the letter "d" I just highlight a folder and keep pressing "d" on my keyboard.How do I achieve the same affect in Mac? In mac if I keep pressing "d" it looks for files/folders that start with d then "dd" and if I press it again "ddd". ?

That doesn't happen for me (OS 10.5.8) but it doesn't work perfectly. Could just be my keyboard. I can get it to go to two additional files starting with the same letter. I didn't search for a folder with more than that number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.