iMac & iPad 2?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any rambling.
I'm going to be graduating college next year and my macbook I've had since senior year of high school has started to become run down.
I got an unexpected research grant this summer which started me looking at getting a replacement computer. I was going to go with a macbook pro, however, the announcement of iOS 5 and iCloud made getting an iMac & iPad 2 (my original idea) seem like a good idea.
I'm planning on going to Grad School, which I will most likely be commuting to, so the iPad 2 would be perfect for portability. Also having access to all my email, calendars, documents, etc would be wonderful. But also being able to have all of my documents etc be stored in icloud and sent to my other devices, it seems like a really good idea.
I'm thinking of an iMac since getting an iPad 2 with a laptop doesn't make sense to me. Also having a desktop for major work at home/sharing it with my fiancée as a main computer seems like it makes sense than doing the same on a laptop.

So my question is: is there any reasons that anyone can give that the combination of an iMac w/ Lion and an iPad 2 with iOS 5 is a bad idea?

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it.

C

chas_m

No argument from me, sounds GREAT!

Bit of advice though: give your fiance -- no matter how much you love and trust her -- her own account. She will thank you, you will thank you, both of you will thank me later.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No argument from me, sounds GREAT!

Bit of advice though: give your fiance -- no matter how much you love and trust her -- her own account. She will thank you, you will thank you, both of you will thank me later.

Agreed with chas on both points. I don't even let my wife touch my computers under my log ins.

OP
Mr.Durden
Reaction score
Thank you so much Chas & Bobtomay! I really do appreciate it. & thanks for the account tip haha, good to know.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Certainly can't call it a 'bad idea' - but I do wonder if you might not regret not going with the MBP eventually. A solid notebook is almost indispensable for the grad student - IMO - and the iPad just won't be a sufficient substitute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
2 seperate accounts are like his and hers bathrooms. They are not necessary, but they sure make for a happier life;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.