PowerMac G5 Sata dvd drive connection?

Reaction score
I bought a PowerMac G5 from ebay, that cost me only $99 which is awesome.There is only one problem it says Optical drive eject function does not work? I have a spare dvd drive but its a sata drive so I wanted to know if would be able to use this drive without any issues.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The standard optical drive is IDE and not SATA. Something like an SATA card installed in the PCI slots may work depending on the model of your G5. You can get SATA cards that have internal and/or external connectors. Think you would want an internal. Be aware they come in PCI, PCI-X and PCI-E formats and none are interchangeable, so make sure you get the correct card for your system. Here is a sample of a PCI internal connecting card.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/TSATA/

You will spend more than you paid for the G5, so perhaps a new Pioneer Superdrive for about $40 may be the cheapest option.

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
I knew the drive that comes with the G5 is IDE, just making sure what I should be looking for.I do a lot of computer repair for my family,friends so I wouldn't have any problems with installation. Maybe I'll go with the Sonnet Tempo Bridge and just hookup my sata dvd drive I already have.

Thank you for the help and info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.