Ibook question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
can you connect an ibook to an external monitor and run it in closed lid mode with a seperate keyboard and mouse?

I'm not talking dual displays... I mean just a vga monitor in closed lid mode? So I could get a 17inch screen when I'm at my desk instead of a 12 inch one.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
You can, but I don't think running with the lid closed is recommended since it will cause it to run hot. Running with the lid closed and running an external monitor that is above 1024x768 would require a hack, thus isn't supported by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
No, only the powerbook has this option, the iBook does not have the capability with-out a hack and even if you could use it with the hack it will destroy the screen since that iBook releases most of its heat through the keyboard where there powerbook releases alot through the back aswell, that is why the option is available on the powerbook and not the iBook... there is however a hack that will allow you to use screen spanning and you can use the external 17 inch screen with dual displays.

Edit: Mynameis... you beat me too it.

S

sursuciofla

Arichards said:
can you connect an ibook to an external monitor and run it in closed lid mode with a seperate keyboard and mouse?

I'm not talking dual displays... I mean just a vga monitor in closed lid mode? So I could get a 17inch screen when I'm at my desk instead of a 12 inch one.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah you can with the screen spanning doctor patch(you can still use mirror option in pref pane) BUT BUT BUT:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

I highly recommend not doing that. I would just turn the brightness all the way down when connected to the 17". Never close the lid or enable that clamshell crap because it will screw up your ibook monitor. I haven't done it myself but know of horror stories from people doing that. Mac laptops vent heat through the keyboard so that heat would do bad thing to your screen if closed and temps are rising during use. Powerbooks are a little different but I still say it's dumb to do even on those. If I ever went to my Dad's house and saw him doing that with his 15" PB I might just have to slap him :black: JUST A WARNING FROM ME BUT DO WHAT YOU WANT!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.